Fahrenheit to celsius conversion
Type in either field to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius or from Celsius to Fahrenheit:
Fahrenheit is a temperature scale used for describing temperatures in Fahrenheit degrees (°F).
It is most commonly used in the United States in weather forecasts and to describe temperatures inside houses, offices, etc.
I asked a few people and the conversion formula is the first thing that comes to mind - and how hard it is to remember. So here's one easire way to do it: use 2 instead of 9/5 and 0.5 instead of 5/9 and 30 instead of 32 in the conversion formula. The result won't be accurate but it does provide an approximate number that's "good enough" in everyday situations.
So the formula becomes: F = (C x 2) + 30
For example: (25C x 2) + 30 = 80F. The accurate answer is 77F but if you don't have a calculator handy and can't multiply and divide using fractions then this formula will give you a good idea that you can use in everyday situations.
The Fahrenheit and Celsius scales coincide at -40°.
Because of the complex convesion formula people often use fahrenheit to celsius calculators to convert temperatures. Remembering a few °C and °F pairs can be useful in everyday life.
- 0°C is the freezing point of water (or more accurately the melting point of ice) and it is 32°F
- A 1 Celsius change is a change of 1.8 Fahrenheits while a 1 Fahrenheit change translates to a change of 0.55 Celsius. This is one of the easiest way to convert them if you know that 0°C = 32°F
- 100°F is really really hot in the summer and it is 38°C so when people talk about a 100°F heatwave, it means hot.
- Your thermostat in the winter is ideally set to about 69°F or 20°C. This saves on your heating bill and also helps saving the environment.
- 37 degrees Celsius is the equivalent of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or normal body temperature. A fever in Celsius is a temperature greater than 38 degrees, or the equivalent of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, a temperature of 39 degrees Celsius/102 degrees Fahrenheit is not dangerous in and of itself, although it should prompt the individual to seek medical attention if it persists.
- Air conditioners should be set to 77-78°F or 25-26°C. Most people set theirs lower because they like to wear a sweater inside the house in the summer and a tank top in the winter.
Another simple conversion method from C to F is to double the celsius, subtract 10%, add 32. For example: 100C = 2x100=200,200-20=180,add 32=212F
Visit the Canadian holidays 2016 website for dates and info about holidays in Canada to help plan your vacations.
Celsius, or centigrade, is also a temperature scale that describes temperatures in Celsius degrees (°C) and it is used in (almost) everywhere else outside the US.
212 °F = 100 °C = boiling point of water
32 °F = 0 °C = freezing point of water
The conversion formulas between °F and °C are:
[°C] = ([°F] - 32) × 5/9
[°F] = [°C] × 9/5 + 32
Quickly convert common temperatures using the fahrenheit to celsius conversion chart below: